Friday, September 3, 2010

Erase History?

What is history?  To some, history is simply the past.  For others, its a subject to be studied, learned, and tested over.  To a historian, it is something treasured and valued- something enjoyed and loved. But what does it mean to you?  Perhaps its not the definition of history that is so important, but rather what it does.  They say we need to study history so that we are not doomed to repeat it. In my world, I see history as the summary of where we've been that points us in the direction we should be going.

Every so often, I delete the browser history on my phone.  Its not so much that I feel the need to hide where I've been so much as I don't want my "history" taking up space on my phone's memory (to those of you out there that  are far more technologically savvy than I, I'm sure there is very little/no truth to this memory-saving trick, but oh well).  When I do this, the "erase history?" message pops up, and every time I think to myself : "erase history? If only it were that easy."  But when I really stop to think about it, who really wants to erase their history?  Maybe its painful; maybe its hard to think about. Maybe you're fortunate enough to have a history with very little difficulty- a bed of roses. Either way, our past defines us; it shows us from where we've come- how far we've grown, areas that still need more work.

On the flip side, we cannot allow our past to ruin our future.  We cannot allow ourselves to become so consumed with our past mistakes or with the past mistakes of others that we miss out on the blessings of today.  My dear friend and cousin, Daniel, sent me a random text today: Philippians 3:13- "forgetting what lies behind and pressing forward to what lies ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of Jesus Christ..."  Sounds like maybe Daniel and the apostle Paul both agree with my take on history.

Keep looking ahead!

Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment