Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Friendship? Yes, please." ~Charles Dickens

All my life I've wished for a best friend.  When I was growing up, I had two best friends: April and Hannah.  Through middle school and high school, I had so many "best" friends I could barely count them all.  I had my "best" school friends and my "best" church friends.  I was close to so many people.  Then I graduated and went off to college.  There, I picked up more "best" friends. Yet, somehow, I still felt just a little lonely.  My "best" friends always come in sets of two: April & Hannah, Mary & Erin, Laura & Elisabeth, Keri & Amy.  I've never had that one special best friend to call my very own.

Over the past month and a half, a very good friend of mine has not been completely honest with me about something.  It's been really hard to deal with because she kept saying how she didn't want this situation to come between us and how it wasn't a big deal. I thought the whole thing was over, but this weekend, I found out she was still hiding things from me.  In short, it was just a rotten weekend in the friendship department.

Except for one thing: the friend who cares.  This weekend, I was reminded once again that one friend of mine (you know who you are) is always there for me.  Now, I know what most of you are thinking- well of course, Lacy... God is ALWAYS there and ALWAYS cares!  Well, yes, that is true.  God is always there and I know He loves me and cares about what is going on in my life.  However,  the friend to which I am referring in this instance is an earthly person.  He's the one I can always count on- the one who, no matter what I have to say, will always be on my side.  We stick together.... mostly via texting (since we don't exactly live in the same location so much).  When he's feeling like the world is against him and that he'll be alone for the rest of his life, I'm the one who's texting him saying "Pull it together and check out the beautiful sunset.... because if God can make a sunset that beautiful, then surely, God will paint something even more beautiful on the canvas of your life."  And when I'm feeling like the world's falling apart.... when I'm second guessing every single decision I've ever made, he's the one who's texting me with the "You're awesome" lines and the "You'll do the right thing.... don't worry too much about it.... life will be ok" texts.  

Some people say that it is impossible for two individuals of the opposite sex to have such a close friendship without it ending in some degree of heartbreak.  Well, to those who make such claims, I'd like to say "You're wrong."  Everyone needs a friend- a someone they can depend on no matter what.  To all of you readers out there, I hope you know this kind of friendship.  Because if you do.... then you sure do have a lot to be thankful for... just like me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lacy! Yes, I'm stalking you, haha! ;) Just saw your blog post on Facebook, and being the kind of nerd-type-person I am, I feel compelled to go back and read ALL your blog posts! Hope you're okay with that (if not, you better hurry up and make this blog private, heehee)! ;) This post was an encouragement to me! I suppose this situation is a distant memory now (or at least I hope so!), but the sentiment rings true! What a blessing to have a friend who continually points you back to God!

    ReplyDelete