Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 in Retrospect

Happy 2011!  I can't believe we're already four days in to the new year.  Time flies, huh?  I'm a little late in my review of 2010, but I have a good excuse as you will see at the end of this report.


Last New Year's Eve, my car at the time died at random three hours from home.  I was staying with my aunt in Minburn for the week so I could work in Ankeny over the holiday.  As frustrating as this situation was, God really showed Himself faithful!  My good friend, Sara, was able to fill in for me at work. Since I was staying with my aunt, Ralph and Eric (her neighbor and son) were there to help me out with the car.  My parents didn't even have to make the six hour round trip journey to pick me up because my "brother" David's girlfriend (now his wife!) was in Ames visiting for the weekend, so she was able to pick me up on her way home!


In March, the FBBC Chorale went to Colorado (and a few other places) for spring tour.  I'm so thankful for those ten days; talk about spiritual encouragement!  God really worked in my life through that trip in SO MANY ways.  I was able to see my mom's side of the family a number of times because most of them live in the Denver area. It was while we were there that I learned of more family discord- my uncle and aunt were splitting up.  That was hard news to take, but my chorale family was so encouraging and patient with me.  I have so many great memories from that trip.  A few that stick out to me include staying with my best friend, Keri Lightfoot, in Colorado Springs; hiking in the Garden of the Gods with Bethany Spink, Joanna Augsburger, Lindsay Yankee, Jared Segerstrom, and Jake Mangold; and the concert we gave in Luke Snell's home church- what a blessing!  While we were on this trip, God really laid it on my heart to be praying more specifically for the team that was headed to Holland and Germany on the European Chorale Tour.


Shortly after we returned from Colorado, I was informed that one team member of the European Chorale was thinking about pulling out, and I was asked to take her place.  What an amazing opportunity!  Obviously, I told Doc (the Chorale director) about how God had pressed it upon me to be praying more faithfully for the ECT, and we agreed that this was the right thing to do. I would have just six weeks to raise the $3,000 needed for the trip, but I knew God would provide if it was His will for me to go.  After a week of waiting for the other team member's final decision,  I was told that she had decided to go, and I would not be needed. While it was a little disappointing, I knew I wasn't really out anything because I hadn't planned to go in the first place.  I knew God had a plan, and I know that He was definitely teaching me to trust Him through this!


Fast forward a few weeks, and you'd have found me sitting in Mrs. McFarling's class on a Friday morning listening to her share with us that a church in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, was looking for a full time office manager, and if anyone was interested in the position, to call the church.  Well, my first thought was That's Home!!.  My second thought was But that doesn't effect me because I'm moving to Colorado Springs to live with Keri. Again, God had a plan.  He gave me a LOT of travel time that weekend to think about the situation that had been "dumped in my lap." I traveled home for my "brother" David's wedding (which was a blessing as well!), then Saturday evening the FBBC Chorale gave a concert at... you guessed it... Mount Pleasant.  I was so confused.  I knew what I had planned, and I thought God and I were on the same page, but if that were true, then why did this job suddenly show up?  Thank God for great godly family and friends (Laura Bunjer & Elisabeth Perrott)- the end result, most of you can probably figure out.  I called Pastor Van (who just happens to be Doc's brother) and applied for the job.


The very next week,  Doc approached me once again.  A different team member had to drop out of the ECT due to health reasons.  The short story is that I now had just four weeks to raise my $3,000 and get my passport (which is almost as big of a feat as getting the money!).  Again, the short story goes something like this:  by the time we left, I think I was like $3 and some odd cents over what I needed and I had my passport in hand!  God is SO GOOD!  How amazing!  I'm still blown away by the whole series of events: Will you go?   Nevermind, you can't go.  Oh, actually, we NEED you to go!  How Great is Our God!


In May, I spent my final days as a student at Faith Baptist Bible College, and graduated from the Administrative Assistant Program with my AA. This was a rather joyous occasion since I am the first in my generation on both sides of my family to graduate from college with any kind of degree!  Go me!


One week after graduation, I hopped on a plain and went on the adventure of my life! I spent the last few weeks of May and the first week of June touring Holland and Germany!  I was also able to see the Alps in Austria and a monastery in Belgium!  I could write an entire blog about each day of that tour, but since I'm trying to keep this condensed (ya, right!) I wont... because I'm not done yet... or maybe I should say God isn't done yet.


A few days after I landed on American soil again, I began my new job as Office Manager/Administrative Assistant at Calvary Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant.  It has been a great job!  I have learned SO much!  My co workers are constantly pushing me to grow... and they usually don't even know it! I have seen God's faithfulness in bringing me home.  I have been able to live in my childhood home with my parents and sisters, which has helped me save money (which is a good thing since I have a school loan to pay!).  It's been so wonderful to integrate myself  back into the family routine- home cooked meals, my laundry done for me, and a piano right in the house;  my family is such a blessing!


June 19, I was able to be in my other "brother"'s wedding.  It was so fun to celebrate with my childhood brother-like friend as he married the love of his life!


Fast-forward to October.  God isn't done yet.  In early October, my 85-year-old grandfather (Dad's dad) was in a very serious accident involving a chainsaw and a very large tree (for more details, please see my post from October It Doesn't Rain, but It Pours).  October was spent making trip after trip after trip to Iowa City to be with him. God is always good, and today, my grandfather is in a nursing home making a recovery that is beyond anyone's expectations.  It is hoped that in the next six months or so, he will be able to return to his apartment and resume life as normal.  Praise the Lord!!


After this, things started settling down.  We had a wonderful November ending with a very nice family Thanksgiving and Black Friday Shopping spree!  December kicked off with the family trip to Des Moines to see Daniel in the FBBC Festival of Carols.  While we were there, we took in Mary Poppins at the Civic Center (which was part of our family Christmas present).  We celebrated three family birthdays (me, Leah, and Lindsey's Mike's) and two almost-family birthdays (Chandler Lang and the birth of Ellie Christine Lang!).


You'd think that's enough for one year, but apparently that is just not the case.  The Tuesday before Christmas, I woke up with a kind of uncomfortable pain in my upper right side.  I joked with mom on my way out the door for work that If they take me to the hospital, I'll make sure to tell them to call and let you know.  I wish it had been that funny.  By the time I got home from work, the pain had significantly increased.  After a nice dinner of chicken enchiladas (which were NOT a good idea, just FYI), the pain had gotten so bad I was in tears.  The pain had spread up into my right shoulder, and I was miserable. Finally, my dad drove me to the ER where they said the word gall bladder an awful lot, drew some blood (which was awful!), gave me two shots (which were also awful!), and told me to see my family doctor tomorrow if things hadn't improved.  Well, as most of you know, things did NOT improve, and the short story is that on the Tuesday AFTER Christmas, I had laparascopic gall bladder removal surgery.  It has been a very slow recovery, and I am not "bouncing back" nearly as quickly as they said I should, but God is good. I'm still working on that recovery part, but as they say, that too will just take a little time.


If you've made it all the way through this post, you deserve some kind of medal, I think.  It's a long one, but I couldn't let the opportunity pass to share with all of you just how much God has done in my life over this past year.  I have learned so much about His faithfulness, His trustworthiness, and His divine plan.  God is SO good, and I can't wait to see what He has for me in 2011.



1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad I took the time to read this post! It was neat to read up a little on what you've been up to in the past year and how God showed Himself faithful to you every step of the way.

    So...where's my medal? ;)

    ReplyDelete