I love Valentine's Day! I don't know any other family that celebrates the way we do. Every year we put up lots of festive decorations in early February, and we bake special sugar cookies and have heart shaped cake (or some other yummy dessert). One thing I really enjoy is watching a plethora of chick flicks, which I can assure you, I definitely have a good head start on that activity!
When I was in High School, I tended toward the Wild girl's approach. I always had my eye on a guy, and I had pretty much perfected the art of the accidental "Hey! Fancy running in to you here!" meetings. I am so SO very thankful that God protected my heart despite my constant attempts to give it away! The good news is that most of my failed attempts at getting these guys attention ended in great friendships, some of which I am still thankful for and enjoying today.
I can tell you exactly when I surrendered to God's pen. Sadly, the reason I can tell you is that it wasn't very long ago: November 2010. When I found out last April that God was moving me back home, I immediately began praying more earnestly about a specific relationship I knew would be a possible reality in the months ahead; however, it wasn't until November (seven months later) that I finally quit trying to make the relationship happen. I quit. I gave it all to God and asked Him to just "do His thing." And let me tell you, it has been one exciting adventure! I have always loved Isaiah 55:8-9, and I think it's because the truth found there is so relevant: God's ways/thoughts are so much higher than ours! In the short time since I surrendered to God's plan, I have seen him orchestrate things in a way that I could never have even imagined. Things are still processing, and I'm far from being in love, but I'm really excited to see where God leads! For now, please join me in praying for patience!
What about you? Are you still trying to orchestrate just the right circumstances to create a relationship? Do you try to manipulate that guy (or if your a guy who's reading this that girl) to do what you want? Or, are you sitting back letting God "do His thing?" If you fall in to the first category, please take the time to read the story of Samson and Delilah in Judges 16(ish). Even though the story ends with Delilah appearing to have gotten exactly what she wanted, I submit that the story really ends with Samson dead, and Delilah standing single, wounded of heart, and alone. When you orchestrate your own love story, it doesn't end well for anybody. When you let God orchestrate your love story, the results can last for generations (see the story of Isaac & Rebekah in Genesis 24- Rebekah let God write her love story, and she was given the privilege of being part of the line of Christ!)!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Loved this Lacy! I remember when I was a Senior at Faith and looking at a house to buy back home close to my parents - I realized then that God was enough and I could be content in Him and Him alone and not need a man in my life to make me complete. It was a HUGE step for me but oh so very necessary! :0) Glad you have made that step too! Love you!
ReplyDelete