Thursday, June 13, 2013

Reflections

Sometimes I have great life updates to write about.

Sometimes I have little snippets of insightful inspirations to share.

Today, I just have some random thoughts.  Some of you will probably stop reading here, as I'm sure the thoughts to follow will not interest you in the slightest, but for those of you who want to know what on earth floats around in the mind of Lacy: forage on.  And kudos to you.

For starters, I've been thinking about how I always seem to be in a hurry to get to what's next.  But once I finally arrive, I'm anxiously awaiting the next big thing.  Will I ever stop to just revel in the moments of joy and laughter?  Will I ever contentedly appreciate the life lessons I'm learning Right Now?  At what point do I stop being so focused on the "What's Next" and start focusing on the "What's NOW?"

Then there's the ever raging battle between "I LOVE Being Single" and "Please, Can I Just Get Married Now?".   I look around and see many of my friends happily married and starting families of their own.  But I also see a handful of truly amazing women, some much older than I, who are still single.  And I think to myself, "at what point do you come to terms with life-long singleness?".  I'm not there yet, but sometimes I think that's the train I'm on.  Don't worry, I'm not totally depressed over it.  Just contemplatious (yeah, that's not even a word).

I think about how great some people's lives look to me and how great it must be to be them.  Then I look at my life, realize how truly great it is, and wonder who's wishing they were living my life?  Do I show enough appreciation and joy over this fabulous life God has given me that people wish they could be me?  Or do I mope and complain enough that no one ever in their right mind would want to live my life?  I'm working on being happy and content just being me... who I am... where I am... in this life stage.

Of course, when I'm done mulling over all of this, there's always the five-year high school class of 2008 reunion to think about.  Could it be that I really graduated five years ago?  And am I really actually considering not attending (the venue select is the local tavern... yeah... not a fan)?  Five years ago, I never imagined I'd be where I am today.  Yet, five years ago, I kinda planned to be exactly where I am.  I was working at a local bank, thoroughly enjoying what I did. So much, in fact, that I seriously considered not going to college, keeping my job, and living at home to save money.  In hind sight, I'm VERY glad I didn't follow that particular path, but nonetheless, let's take a look at where I am today: working at a local bank, living at home to save money.  It's almost like no time has passed at all, yet... here I am... five years later.  I loved high school, but it definitely feels like a lifetime ago.  A really, really great lifetime ago, but a lifetime ago nonetheless. I tell ya what, if you need some serious reflection time, think about high school.  That'll do it.

And finally, I've been thinking about last summer and all the great memories that came with it.  And the life Helen and I lived in Des Moines.  Our Yellow House family.  Our Trinity church family.  We went up to visit two weekends ago, and we're headed up again tomorrow, but we both agreed:  there is nothing about our life there and our life here that mesh.  It's like we have two amazing, yet completely separate lives we're living.  It's really weird, but also really great?  I don't think that can be explained.  In fact, when I was thinking about it on the drive home last time, all I said to Helen was "I feel like our Yellow House life and our real life don't mesh."  And she totally understood what I was saying with no further explanation. Sometimes I think people aren't really so far off when they say that Helen and I share the same brain on some stuff.  It's amazing.

Anyhow, that's all I've got for now.  Again, kudos to those of you who actually found this interesting.

'Till Next Time


No comments:

Post a Comment