Monday, March 5, 2012

Daddy's Girl

Today is my daddy's birthday.  A few weeks ago, I said that I have the best mom in the whole entire world (or something along those lines).  Well... that would be true of my dad as well.  I can honestly say that I have the best dad in the whole entire world.  I know, I know. You don't believe me because you think that YOU have the best dad.  But unless you're my sister, you think wrong.  Don't worry.  I don't fault you for your false thinking.  It's due to ignorance. You simply don't know any better.

Anyhow, I'm so thankful for my dad.  He is one of my absolute best friends.  Again, I know I say that about my sister Helen, and my mom too... but that kinda just proves my point.  I have the best family EVER!

I don't know where I'd be today without my dad.  He is so patient and kind and supportive; always ready to give advice, but also ready to pick up the pieces with you when you don't listen to or ask for his advice.

Best. Dad. EVER.

I'm thankful for my daddy because he gives really great hugs. AND he always knows when to give them.

I'm thankful for his fantastic storytelling abilities. Many of our friends (my sisters' and mine) will agree with this.  My dad, to put it simply, is the best at reading stories.  Our favorites include The Lorax by Dr. Seuss and the Junie B. Jones series.  I just LOVE that guy and his reading abilities, I tell you! :)

Best. Dad. EVER.

I'm thankful that he loves his girls.  That's all he got.  Four girls. No boys.  But I never EVER... not once... felt as if he wished one of us had been a boy. In fact, I'm not sure he'd know what to do with a son after having four daughters and a wife!

I'm thankful that my daddy can cook.  I'm thankful that my mommy can cook, too, but dad's specialty is breakfast. If it wasn't for my dad, I'd never have learned how to make a proper omelet. Or how to make sausage gravy from scratch. Or how to brew coffee the way it's meant to be brewed... STRONG. Or how to fry an egg. Or how to get Monkey Bread out of the pan without making a massive mess.  Or how to make a good chocolate chip pancake without smearing chocolate all over the frying pan.

Best. Dad. EVER.

I'm definitely thankful for my dad's sense of humor and his disposition.  I haven't seen him get mad in a very VERY long time.  He's always ready to join in on the goofy. I enjoy listening to him sing random songs like "Let's Go Fly A Kite" and "Blueberry Hill."  I love that we can shoot him a line from a ridiculous movie (i.e.- A Cinderella Story... or Holes), and he can respond in perfect keeping with the script.  So many people see my dad as a serious, quiet man.  HA! Boy are y'all mistaken!  My dad is hilarious. For reals!

But most of all, I'm thankful for the spiritual leader I find in my dad. I'm thankful for his example.  Sunday school teacher, deacon, Sunday School superintendent, janitor (not officially, but still...), Youth helper, fill-in speaker, song leader, even actor.  He does it all.  One of my favorite memories from childhood (and even now) is walking into my parents' bedroom and finding my dad sitting on the edge of the bed reading his Bible.

I'm thankful for my dad because he has given me a very good picture of my Heavenly Father.

I couldn't ask for more than that.

Happy Birthday to the BEST DAD EVER!!!!

Reading "The Lorax" to us all. 
And yes, he DOES do all the voices best.

PS- I love you, dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment