I love how He always knows just exactly what we need and when we need it. Always.
I started out the summer wondering how on earth I was going to survive the three months when the college kids would be gone. Helen was planning on moving home. I was feeling lonely.
Then, Helen decided to stay. And the Petersons decided to adopt her. And let's be honest here... Helen and I are kind of a package deal. So in adopting her, they (unknowingly) adopted me too! I can't thank God enough for them! They really do love us! And we love them! Pastor Dad & Mamma P get excited with us when big wonderful stuff happens in our lives, and they comfort us when big BAD stuff happens. God knew I needed a local (and sometimes loco) family!
Anyhow...
Saturday morning, I woke up thinking I knew exactly how my day was going to go: Summer of the Gospel car wash from 10am-5pm, then family time with Helen and the P's from 5-?. I knew what I wanted out of life, and I knew who I wanted to hang out with all day.
And then... right there in the middle of the day... God changed my direction. Just randomly and (for the most part) completely unexpectedly. God dropped a blessing in my lap about 2:30 in the afternoon, and suddenly I no longer knew what life was supposed to look like! You know the feeling... it throws you off completely and, even though you're totally fine with this change of direction, you still walk around kind of dazed and stunned... and totally in awe of the Creator's sense of humor.
One of the things I've really been struggling with this summer is patience. I just didn't know it. Well, apparently God decided it was time for me to get clued in to His summer lesson plans for me.
Lessons A, B, & C: Learn to be Patient.
Patient in waiting for God's plan to be revealed.
Patient in waiting for God's perfect timing.
Patient in learning how to love others.
A wonderful person who is quickly becoming like a brother to me challenged me to memorize 1 Corinthians 13:4. The first three words are these: Love is patient.
That's it.
Just three little words.
Love. Is. Patient.
And since Sunday night when he challenged me (and the entire Summer of the Gospel group) to memorize this verse, I have had these three words on a constant replay in my mind.
Love is patient. Love is patient. Love is patient.
Monday afternoon, God chose to surprise me yet again. And, just like the Saturday blessing, this surprise also requires a bit of patience.
And now, here I sit... just waiting. Patiently waiting for God to show me what HE has for me. Patiently waiting for God to show me HIS perfect timing. Patiently waiting on God to reveal to me how HE wants me to love others.
At least God provides encouragement during this waiting season! My mother for instance, who said to me yesterday (after hearing about my second "patience practice" blessing), "Honey! I don't even know how to pray for you anymore. I just get started praying for one thing, and then another thing comes long... I guess I'll just keep praying for it ALL!"
So... I bet several of you are now wondering with piqued curiosity what these two "patience practice" blessings are. Well...
You'll just have to be PATIENT! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment