Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Memory of the Future

I recently heard a song (extra points if you know where) and fell completely in love with it! It's one of my new favorites. The phrase that gets me every time I hear it is this:

"And we're all getting older,
wishing we were young
hanging on the memory of what we would become..."

It doesn't happen too often, as I quite enjoy my current life, but occasionally I think about the fact that I've been out of high school for almost six years, and my life looks nothing like I thought it would.

If you'd asked me at 18 where I thought I'd be at 24, I would probably have said something along the lines of "happily married, living somewhere in the suburbs with the man of my dreams, raising our children.  I'll have traveled to at least six states I've never been in before and made enough memories to last a lifetime.  This year, our family Christmas card will feature a photo of our family visiting yet another historical, yet beautiful, landmark."

I think we can all agree that NONE of this has happened yet. But that's how life is. Things rarely go as you thought they would. I'm not complaining about my life.  I love my life.  I'm so thankful for this extra time I get to spend with my family!  I have a job I enjoy (most of the time) and a church that provides both a family and an outlet for ministry.

Life doesn't always turn out like I thought it would.  And while I love this life just the way it is, I like occasionally spending an hour or two with my memories of the future I hoped for.


No comments:

Post a Comment