Mr. Holland's Opus is one of my all-time favorite movies. The poignant story is of would-be music composer turned teacher Glenn Holland. His goal is to work a few years teaching music until he has enough money to support his wife while he composes full-time. But, as in most stories, things don't work out quite like planned, and Mr. Holland ends up teaching for many, many years, never finishing his one life-changing composition. In the end, he is let go due to budget cuts. On his final day as a teacher, his wife orchestrates a large farewell celebration; many of his students return to take part, proving that his greatest composition was created not in sheets of music, but in the lives of those he influenced.
These are two of my favorite quotes
from the movie:
"Mr. Holland had a profound influence on my life and on a lot of lives I know. But I have a feeling that he considers a great part of his own life misspent. Rumor had it he was always working on this symphony of his. And this was going to make him famous, rich, probably both. But Mr. Holland isn't rich and he isn't famous, at least not outside of our little town. So it might be easy for him to think himself a failure. But he would be wrong, because I think that he's achieved a success far beyond riches and fame. Look around you. There is not a life in this room that you have not touched, and each of us is a better person because of you. We are your symphony Mr. Holland. We are the melodies and the notes of your opus.
We are the music of your life."
~Adult Gertrude Lang, former student of Mr. Holland
"A teacher has two jobs;
fill young minds with knowledge, yes,
but more important,
give those minds a compass
so that that knowledge
doesn't go to waste."
~Principal Jacobs
It began when, as a little girl, I played "school" with my little sisters & stuffed animals. From there, it progressed to a love of books, reading, and writing. Throughout Elementary School, Middle School, and High School, I attended 5 Young Writers Conferences. I constantly asked for permission to go to the library. Books were a staple in my backpack. When high school rolled around, my English/Literature teachers were always encouraging me to broaden my reading horizons, writing topics, and life goals (note: for most of my high school career, my "life dream" was to be a chef living in New York City).
By the time my Senior year rolled around, I had big plans to study culinary arts in college, graduate with honors, and move to the big city, much to the dismay of my beloved English/Literature educators (who had mentioned a number of times that I should consider pursuing a degree in English education). However, God had other plans, and I ended up with a passion for secretarial things like organization, public relations, and (big surprise) words!
I went to Faith Baptist Bible College in the fall of 2008, and I graduated two years later, in the Spring of 2010, with an AA in Administrative Assistance. God threw open a fabulous door of opportunity for me to use my newly acquired skills (or rather my newly acquired degree... the skills were mostly already there before I went) right away. For the last year, I have worked as the office manager at Calvary Baptist Church. I love my job! God brought me here for a reason, and I think the growth in my life is great evidence of His purpose.
My love of books, words, and (believe it or not) High School has never really gone away. AND..... the time has FINALLY come to do something about it! I can't tell you all how hard it was to make this decision, but it's settled: in August, I will be leaving my oh-so-love-it job and returning to school for a degree in Secondary English Education. If you keep up with my posting, you may recall that this is one of my life dreams. I'm so excited! I received an e-mail this morning telling me that I've been accepted as a full-time transfer student at Iowa Wesleyan College for Fall 2011. I dearly love the people of CBC, but I can't deny the hand of the Lord in this. I'm very VERY excited to be finally doing what I've always wanted to do!
I simply cannot present this news without taking a moment to recognize a few people who made this dream possible. So, in closing, here's to you:
John Grunwald, my MS & HS Vocal Instructor, for never letting me settle for being "good enough", and for always pushing me just a little further than I thought I could go.
Audrey Ekle, my High School English/Literature teacher , for first planting the idea in my head, and for being the best drama teacher/director ever!
Andrea Crooks, my other High School English/Literature teacher, for encouraging me to pursue a career of changing lives by being a teacher, and for being my godly mentor/encourager!
You not only inspired me to be the best version of myself, but you also set the best examples of what a good teacher looks like. To you I say "Thanks!"
No comments:
Post a Comment