Saturday, February 27, 2016

Because I Knew You...

I've heard it said
that people come into our lives 
for a reason
bringing something we must learn
and we are led to those
who help us most to grow
if we let them
and we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true,
but I know I'm who I am today
because I knew you...


I believe with all my heart that God brings people into our lives as we need them. Some people, like our families, we need for a lifetime. Others, who we may only need for a short period of time, leave lifetime impacts on our hearts. This man is one of those short-time, lifetime impact type of people. I officially met Mr. John Grundwald on the first day of 5th grade music class. Little did I know that day just how much time I would end up spending with him over the next 8 years. I always liked music, but this teacher made me fall in love with it!

During my middle school days, he encouraged my love of music {and theatre} by choosing me as one of the lead vocalist roles in the middle school production of Tom Sawyer in 7th grade. In 8th grade, he started planting ideas in my head of being the high school accompanist, which starting my Freshman year, I did. 

High School for me, as it is for most, was fraught with drama, but the one place I always found a calm oasis was the choir room. Mr. G was always ready with a listening ear and an encouraging word. He pushed me to be better than I was and to not settle for "just ok," both as a pianist and in life. My Sophomore year, he took part of the choir to NYC. I had originally signed up, but had to drop out because I just couldn't seem to get the money scraped together. Long story short, a few months before they left, he approached me about taking the spot of another girl for a discounted price. So I went. And it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! My Senior year, he took me to several vocal festivals and {helped} gift me with my choice of "The Christmas Shoes" for the winter production at Harmony. All four years of high school, he encouraged me to try out for the local theatre productions, and finally, my Senior year, I did. I joined the cast for an exciting production of Bye, Bye Birdie. I met many people along the way with whom I still keep contact today. 

As a teacher, the expectation is that you will change lives, leave huge impacts, and create a better future for those you teach. I'm not a teacher in a school, but I'm sure there are times of great discouragement, when it feels like you're not making any difference for anyone.

But, at least for THIS man, I hope there is never a doubt in his mind that his work matters - this his life has affected so many and changed us...

For Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment