Monday, December 31, 2012

2102 in Retrospect

This could be the shortest, easiest "Retrospect" I'll ever do. All I really need to say to sum up the year is this:

2012 was the best year of my life thus far!

Unfortunately (?) for you, I've never really been one for "short" when it comes to words, so here's my 2012 in retrospect:

Welcoming in 2012 came with great uncertainty for me.  I was settling in nicely at my new (again) job at Greenberg's, meeting/making friends at my new church, and adjusting to life in the city once again.  On a slightly sour note, my year also began with my best friendship on the rocks.  Thankfully, after a little space and time, that, too, made some adjustments, and life smoothly went on.

Nothing of note happened so much in February, March, or April.  I spent time with my dear friends in Ankeny and generally enjoying life.

In May, I was prepared for everyone to leave me behind.  My casual friends were all either moving away or had drifted so far that I didn't really see myself spending all summer with them. My cousin George was leaving to spend a year in Peru (we went on our "River Adventure" as a farewell).  My best friend, Helen, was planning to spend summer at home, and I was left to fend for myself.

BUT... Helen stayed.  In fact, she not only stayed, but she moved in to the Yellow House.  Little did we know then just how significant that fact would be in our mundane little lives. In short, this simple twist of events gave us the greatest gift:  our "new family!" No one can replace our real family, but now we have a family in Des Moines, too!  I'm not sure when or how it happened, but suddenly Helen and I weren't alone anymore.  We had been adopted into our second family, and it was the best thing that could have happened to us! 

June was spent taking care of our dear new brother, Caleb, as he recovered from surgery,  celebrating Carah & Yellow House Mom's birthdays, and making trips back and forth to the homestead.  

July included our trip home with Caleb & Carah for the 4th of July weekend, Alexxa's 1st birthday, Trinity's Summer of the Gospel (including the very interesting car wash), watching my first ever marching band competition with Jodi, Fogell, and Caleb (SOOOO COOL!!!!), seeing Caleb sing with the All-State Jazz choir, seeing Tonic Sol-Fa in concert (amazing!!!), and me, as always, searching for a new job.  No new job.  Lots of tears and ice-cream, and it was time for vacation.

August was full of emotional upheaval. Helen announced while we were on vacation that she would be transferring to Cedarville University for Spring semester 2013.  Caleb left for Cedarville in mid August. April and Helen moved into their dorm room at Faith. And I was counting down the days I had left with my dear friend, Fogell, who left in early September for the Air Force. And with all these things came the end of the best Summer of my life. Lots of tears shed, both happy and sad.

As Summer cooled to Fall, I said "goodbye" to Fogell, and sent him on his merry way, sending behind him 25 letters to see him through what ended up being an extended boot camp. I started teaching children's church at Trinity (whenever I happened to be there- Helen and I spent a LOT of weekends at home this semester). Thursday evenings became "Yellow House" time for Helen and me. A football game, Helen's birthday, a trip to the Zoo, a basic training graduation, and one bridal bouquet catch later, Thanksgiving arrived, and with it... more change.

After exactly one year back at Greenberg's, God once again directed my steps in a different direction.  My last day at Greenberg's was also my first year anniversary.  Throughout the Summer and Fall, I became increasingly restless with my job.  I felt like what I was doing didn't matter; that I wasn't making a difference in anyone's life by doing what I was doing.  So, I made a switch.  The Monday after Thanksgiving, I started my new job at Tender Years Day Care!  What a GREAT change!!!  I now work full-time with a room full of 2-year-olds, and I LOVE IT!!!  God knew exactly what I needed.  

December came with birthday cake, presents, a trip to the IMax by myself to see the Polar Express (Happy Birthday, Me!), Road to Bethlehem, and Christmas.  Caleb came home for a month, and I helped April and Helen pack up their dorm room- one to move home and one to move to Ohio (after a month at home). And then, I got the phone call that FOGELL WAS HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!  There is a very, very long version of that story, but the short one, which is included here for the enjoyment of all, is that I got my Christmas wish: Caleb & Fogell to be home.  That's all I wanted, and God said "YES!"  Best present ever!

And now, here I am.  I sit here thinking over the memories of the year, and I am overwhelmed at God's care for me.  At every turn, He has known my needs and provided above and beyond!  I'm ending the year more loved than I've ever felt in my entire life (not to say that I've ever felt unloved, but I'm SUPER blessed with the love in my life this year), closer than ever with my best friend/sister Helen, and completely in awe of the way God has worked in my life this year. 

If 2013 is anywhere near as amazing as 2012 was, then I say "Bring it ON!"




No comments:

Post a Comment