No more March.
No extra month of terrible weather.
No more painful days of grief.
For the last 12 years, March 21 has been one of the saddest days of the year for me. It was on that day, as a 12-year-old girl, I had my first encounter with this painful reality of life: it ends.
It's no secret that, while we're not supposed to play favorites with our family, Uncle Scott was my favorite uncle. There was just something larger than life about him growing up. I can't say what it was: his height, his laughter, the way he made me feel important and loved. Whatever it was, I can say with certainty that my life was forever changed on that day.
Last Saturday, March 22, my beloved grandfather (mom's side) left his earthly home to be forever with his Savior. I don't know how to express the sadness I feel for those of us left behind, nor do I know how to fully express my excitement for Grandpa as he has entered into the joy of eternity with his Savior! This conflict of emotions is just... overwhelming.
As I reflect on the events of the last week, I am reminded of several things:
- God's timing is always perfect. There are so many little details that clearly evidence His care for us in the timing of this.
- I'll always have my memories. Nothing can replace or take away the precious memories I have of my grandfather!
- I'm fortunate to be part of a family (on both sides) that is so closely knit together! Families like ours are rare, and far too often, I take mine for granted.
- The next time I see Grandpa, I won't ever have to say good-bye again! We'll be forever together in eternity with the One who redeemed us!
- Our time with our loved ones here on this earth is limited. Take the time to tell people you love them, to tell them how much they mean to you.
I've had more thoughts, feelings, and emotions than I could ever fully process over the last week, but I'm thankful that in the midst of it all, I was surrounded by family, friends, and a forever faithful Savior!
No comments:
Post a Comment