Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 in Retrospect - A Year of Change

Can I get a hearty "Amen!"?  2011 was definitely a year of change for me.  Almost to the point of whiplash at times.  Seriously.  But through the ups and downs, God in His mercy, remained faithful!

January came in with a bang.  I spent my New Year's Eve with my mamma watching movies at home while everyone else partied it up at church.  Why? Well... because I was recovering from having my insides ripped out.  So not fun.  In fact, it was so unpleasant that I've decided I will never EVER again have my gallbladder removed. :)

The first few months flew by in a blur of...well... nothingness. Not much at all happened.  Until Spring.  Then life got on the crazy train and never got off!  In April, Helen (aka- my sister/best friend Laura) was crowned Prom Queen on the same day I played the piano for my friends Jessica & Jeremiah's wedding!  A few weeks later, Helen graduated from High School.  As Valedictorian, it was her responsibility and honor to give the "speech," in which she should have talked about "...Me.  And... whirled peas."  Good stuff!

About this same time, I felt the Lord directing me to go back to college.  I've tossed around the idea of being a High School English teacher for years, and it seemed that God was finally saying "Ok.  Go now and do this thing."  So... I gave my notice at the church, which was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.  I'd been accepted as a student at Iowa Wesleyan College, where I would be a full-time student (along with Laura) beginning in August.

In June, dad and I flew out to California to help my sister move home.  Except that just as we were leaving, Lindsey was admitted to the hospital to deliver baby Alexxa... three months early. Through all the drama of that situation, dad and I got some pretty awesome bonding time, and we ALL got a sweet little baby.  Thankfully she didn't arrive for another month.  Alexxa Lynn arrived on July 6, 9 weeks early, but you'd never know it to look at her now!

June and July flew by!  With Bethany living with us for the summer, Laura and I getting ready for college, and Leah busy with camps, we didn't lack for excitement whatsoever in the Vance household!  My last day at the church was July 31.  At least it ended with a pretty sweet concert by the King's Brass and a million hugs!

With August came even more change.  Upon her return from her last year at Sr. High camp at IRBC, Laura informed us that the Lord was directing her to go to Faith in the fall instead of IWC.  This was kind of EXTREMELY last minute, but we just kept trusting God to show us His plan.

We went on  vacation to Nebraska to see my mom's parents during the first full week of August as well.  Laura and I got the added blessing of spending an entire 24 hours together.  Just the two of us (for most of it) at my aunt & uncle's house in Denver.  It was fantastic!  We had such a relaxing time together, just enjoying a few moments of "ME" time.  I shopped.  She napped.  We were BOTH happy! :)

August ended with Laura moving to Ankeny and me going to IWC.  September flew by with books, and papers, and classes, and my new job at Peebles.  Lindsey & Alexxa finally arrived in early September and spend the next month living with us.  They moved into their own rental house over Halloween weekend.  God continued showing His plan for my life, and I was genuinely enjoying myself!

Until mid October.  Just before midterms.  I hit a wall.  It was almost literally overnight that I decided to drop out of school.  I'm SO SO SO glad that God knows exactly how to best communicate with each of His children!  For me, He knew the best way to tell me that teaching wasn't what He had for me was to SHOW me!  I'm so thankful for His work in the entire experience.  It was through a research paper that I had to do for class that God clearly explained to me why this wasn't what He wanted me to do with my life, and once God says "no" there's no point in prolonging the inevitable.  So, I withdrew, took my sweet refund to the bank, and asked "what now?"

God had a plan.  As always.  As soon as I walked off campus for the last time, I pulled out my phone and called up my previous employer in Ankeny.  I'd heard the company had an opening at the Jordan Creek branch for a full-time office assistant.  The short story is that I accepted the job offer in early November and began working full-time on November 21.  God provided housing, family, and everything I could possibly need, including an entirely different church family than I was planning on!

November & December have also gone by in a blur, but were some of the most amazing months of my life thus far.  No joke.  I have met so many amazing people who have changed my life in so many ways.  If I started naming names and situations, I would have an entire notebook full of entries!

As I write this post, there are 33 minutes left of this whirlwind year, and I feel a barrage of emotions.  Sadness, happiness, thankfulness, joy, anticipation.  The one thing I don't feel... not even a hint... is regret.  I have no real regrets from 2011.  Every single thing that happened in the last 365 days has helped me grow and mature into the person I am today. It hasn't all been easy, and there are definitely things that I'd have preferred to have gone differently, but I know God had/has a plan through each and every situation.

So... Welcome 2012!  Please, if at all possible, leave the "whiplash change" mechanisms in 2011.

Thanks for joining me over the last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment