Sunday, November 30, 2014

5 Thankful Things: November

I really had planned to do my annual "Thankful Thoughts November" posts this month, but it just didn't happen.  One thing I DID get out of doing it for the last few years is my monthly "5 Thankful Things," so here they are:

1- I'm so thankful for my church families!  There's something so incredibly special about having multiple church families that are part of your life for years, no matter where you go or how often you are able to worship with them.  I'm thankful for my current church family at Farmington: the opportunities to minister in the community and the opportunities to serve in the church, the fellowship, friendship, and love we share!  I'm thankful for my church family at Trinity in Des Monies- no matter how much time passes between visits, I know I can ALWAYS count on them to pray for me and to love the Lord and others!  The family I have made there will last a lifetime!  I've also been reminded this month of just how thankful I am for our church family in Ogallala, Nebraska: we only usually get to spend time with them once a year, but there are a handful of people there that are quite dear to our family.  I LOVE that technology (like Facebook) allows me to keep up with all these precious people with minimal effort!  What a huge blessing!

2- I'm thankful for the health I'm blessed with.  That may sound strange considering all the wacko, strange, and not-so-comfortable things I've had going on health-wise this year, but after spending a week lying around feeling like death, it makes a person SO MUCH MORE THANKFUL when she finally feels like herself again!  I'm thankful that the ailments I currently face are all minimal and (hopefully) short-lived.  I'm also thankful for doctors who take the time to help you when you are having difficulties!

3-  I'm thankful for my loud, ridiculous, hilarious, wonderful extended family!  We had such a wonderful time last night enjoying the company of the Vance clan, whose laughter covered every square inch of our smallish house!  Sometimes, I'm afraid I take my family for granted.  I forget that not everyone is from a family so closely knit.

4- I'm thankful for my parents.  I'm thankful for all the normal things like their love, care, protection, advice, and blah blah blah, but lately I've been thankful for their spiritual examples.  My parents are both gifted teachers of the Word.  Mom teaches the Scripture Seekers club on Wednesday nights, and most of the time I find myself wishing the kids would just be quiet and pay attention so that I can just listen and not miss anything!  My dad has been the adult Sunday School teacher for as long as I can remember.  I LOVE our Sunday school class, and it makes me sad when I have to miss it!  One of the greatest parts of their example is their humility.  Neither one of them would ever tell you that they are a great teacher.  In fact, most of the time they question their abilities to teach effectively.  I would be thankful for them even if they weren't my parents, but the fact that they ARE my parents makes me even that much more grateful for their examples!

5- I'm thankful that God is faithful.  I've been struggling with a few things lately, and the knowledge that God is in complete control and always has my best interest in mind is incredibly comforting. I'm thankful that the God I serve and Who loves me is the same God I can read about in the Old Testament leading and protecting the children of Israel out of slavery and across the Red Sea. He's the same God that protected Joseph and used him for great things, even when life was hard for him.  He's the same God that radically changed Persecutor Saul into the Apostle Paul. And He's the same God who will ultimately defeat sin and death and reign forever and ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment