What?! I know, an odd title, but I hope it intrigues you enough to at least hear me out.
First of all, I will be sharing my Thankfulness Days 10 & 11:
Day 10- I'm thankful that there are still small town country doctors around who care more about making their patients healthy again than they do about being rich. One such doctor has assisted me in [hopefully] heading off a [terrible, awful, no good, very VERY bad... at least in my case] sinus infection, which [for me] always leads to bronchitis. Thank You, Dr. Pam!!!
Day 11- I'm thankful that I am an American citizen, born and raised right here in the good 'ol USA! I'm thankful for my friends, family, and those whom I have never met that serve in the military, fighting to keep me free. Far too often, I take my freedoms for granted: freedom to worship the One True God; freedom to speak my mind; freedom to go anywhere and do anything I please [ok... within the law...]. I'm thankful that I go to bed at night without fear, in a warm bed and clean pajamas.
And now... the Dating part:
Earlier this evening, I was having a conversation with my marvelously wonderful friend Thomas about dating, when I kind of just lost it. Poor, patient Thomas read every word of the million texts it took to get my point across. Here's the gist of what I said:
Dating really irritates me. For the most part, those of us who grew up Baptist, have been told from day 1 that you "date to find a mate." Well, I agree with that to an extent, but for cryin' out loud! Faith girls, here's a little nougat of truth for you [brace yourselves... it's pretty shocking]: Just because a guy asks you out on a date does NOT mean he wants to marry you! And just for the record: Good first dates do NOT come with sparkling diamond rings! For some reason, at least when I was at Faith, it seemed like the second you accepted a date invitation, or even a "sit with me in chapel?" invitation, people assumed you had already chosen your china pattern AND set a wedding date! Now, I understand that dating comes with a responsibility, and I'm not saying that we should just say "yes!" to any and every guy that asks, but if the fellow is a good friend of yours, or even a nice guy who just happens to sit next to you in one class you happen to have together, what, may I ask, is the harm in going on one single date with him? Especially if you both understand that it is JUST as friends!?
Being a graduate of Faith myself, I'm pretty sure that I utterly shocked Thomas, and practically left him speechless. I pretty much told him that I think "dating" a good friend now and again may even be helpful to both parties, as it gives you practice! Guys need to learn how to be gentlemen, and ladies need to give them the chance to learn! And, I speak for myself in this, ladies: we need to learn how to be on a date! I, for one, need to learn how to just be myself! If a good guy friend of mine were to call me up and say "Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to go out Saturday afternoon? Maybe for a stroll at the mall? We could get some Starbucks and browse? Just as friends?" Well... depending on the guy, I'd probably say "yes!"
Here's my one rule: I won't go on a date with anyone with whom there isn't the slightest chance of a potential relationship [which obviously means he has to be a regenerate believer. If you don't know that pertinent information, you should probably find that out before saying yes]. That's just not fair to either party. If we're already good friends, then I'd say there is definite potential. I'm not saying that if I say "yes" to a date that I expect a relationship to follow. Absolutely not! I'm just saying that any time two members of the opposite sex go out publicly together to hang out exclusively, even if it IS just as "friends," there is always the chance that one or both parties may fall for the other.
There. I've said it. I feel way better, even if you hate my views and think I'm the worst person to ever walk the planet. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment