Friday, November 22, 2013

Day 22: History

I admit it.  I find history fascinating.  I know, I know.  You're all shocked, but it's true!

Today, especially, I'm thankful for my love of history as we observed the 50-year anniversary of the end of "Camelot."  For those of you who aren't history buffs, that would be the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated.   I've always been a lover of history, but in the last two years, I've fallen in love with the early 60's.

I'm thankful for my love of history because it's part of what makes me who I am.

Here are 10 random things you may never have wanted to know about me and my love of the 60's:

  1. 1963 is my favorite year.  It's also the year my dad was born.
  2. I would have definitely been a Pan Am stewardess.
  3. Pearls and heels will always be in style.  Always.
  4. As will the big hair.  
  5. My favorite Beatles song is "Hey, Jude" (which wasn't released until 1968, I think).
  6. I get a little thrill when I see Life Magazines.
  7. JFK is one of my favorite presidents, probably because of the uniqueness surrounding his Presidency. 
  8. I'd rather talk on an old rotary telephone than on my cell phone.
  9. There's something very "family friendly" about the early 60's.  Yes, I know... the 60's were the "beginning of rebellion" or whatnot, but every era has it's rebellious ones.  Family, or the appearance of family, was still important then.  (No, it wasn't perfect.  I'm well aware.)
  10. Secretaries were in high demand, and since I would LOVE to be a real secretary, I think that's fabulous!  I know, I could be a secretary today, but it's just not the same.  No typewriters.  No shorthand (which I never got the privilege to learn).  No steno pads. 
I'm thankful for my love of history, but I'm also thankful for parents who also are lovers of history.  We enjoy seeing historical sites (which we've done on occasion), and we like talking about history.  

I'm thankful for the past, for if we are wise, it is the change in our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment