Sunday, November 11, 2012

Day 11- Church Family (Farmington Edition)

Today I'm thankful for the dear church family of my childhood.  Helen and I have made a lot of trips home for the weekend this semester (since she's headed to Ohio in January... but we don't talk about that), and one of the perks of being home on the weekends is getting to spend a little time with our "home" church family.

Several years ago, maybe even when I was in middle school, my parents started hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for the senior saints some evening in November.  Over time, it morphed into a church-wide thing, and now, every year, we take a Sunday afternoon before Thanksgiving and have dinner together.  My parents {almost} always prepare enough turkey to feed a small army, and everyone in the congregation brings along sides to share.  Oh, and also a large quantity of desserts. :)

Thankfully, today was that day.  We enjoyed a meal around the tables of fellowship, visiting with friends of all ages.  As I looked around the room today, I saw the faces of those that helped me grow into the person I am today: Sunday school teachers, VBS leaders, youth group helpers, ladies that taught me what it looks like to be a servant in the kitchen, men that taught me how I serve better in the kitchen than I do helping with projects (I'm rarely allowed near the tools... let alone allowed use them!), my pastor, and many who taught me what genuine Christianity looks like.

No matter where I go or how far away from home I may end up, First Baptist Church of Farmington will always be my home church, and I'm thankful for the "family" God gave me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment